How to File Taxes (for Au pairs)

I hear this question from many of my au pair friends. Since au pairs are here new in the US, they are not very familiar with the US tax system. I will explain how to file taxes as an au pair in 5 simple steps:

  1. Download this document. It’s called Form 1040NR-EZ
  2. Calculate how much you have earned during the previous calendar year (For example, If you are filing your taxes in 2018, you should calculate how much you earned in 2017)
    • Use this simple method to calculate your earnings:
      Let’s say you were an au pair for 40 weeks in the last year. It means you earned $7,830 ($195.75 x 40 weeks)
  3. Fill out the form you downloaded
    • On line 3, 7, 10, and 12: Enter the total amount you earned in 2017 (It’s $7,830 in our example)
    • On line 11: Enter 0
    • On line 13: Enter $4,050 (exemption amount for 2017)
    • On line 14: Subtract the exemption amount ($4,050) from your income reported on line 12. This is your taxable income amount ($3,780 in our example. $7,830 – $4,050 = $3,780)
    • On line 17 and 25: This is the amount you owe. Find your taxable income amount (line 14) in the 2017 Tax tables (starting at page 23 of Document Instructions for Form 1040NR-EZ) (It’s $378 in our example)
    • Sign and enter date at the bottom of the first page
  4. Pay the amount you owe in taxes (The amount you entered in line 17 and 25. It’s $378 in our example). Pay it online with your debit or credit card. You can also use the app called IRS2Go
  5. Put your form into an envelope and stick a stamp. Send the envelope to this address:
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service
    Austin, TX 73301-0215 U.S.A.

That’s it! No more stress about taxes!

Written by Jack

Blogger and friend. Works in IT and entertainment industry. Thanks for checking out my post!

How to Travel With an Au Pair? (Step by step guide with pictures)

7 Valuable Lessons I Learned from Talent Inc